Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Mini Review: The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann






Every year in Quill, thirteen-year-olds are sorted into categories: the strong, intelligent Wanteds go to university, and the artistic Unwanteds are sent to their deaths. Thirteen-year-old Alex tries his hardest to be stoic when his fate is announced as Unwanted, even while leaving behind his twin, Aaron, a Wanted. 
 
But it's a rare, unique occurence for twins to be separated between Wanted and Unwanted, and as Alex and Aaron's bond stretches across their separation, a threat arises for the survival of Artime that will pit brother against brother in an ultimate, magical battle.

I found The Unwanteds an entertaining read.  I liked how the author, Lisa McMann, showed the Unwanted kids gaining self-esteem and self-respect as the story went along.  They learned to depend upon themselves and each other and solve threatening situations.  There's no "bad" language or extreme violence.  The Unwanteds is a fun fantasy for all ages, though I think will be more enjoyed by the younger ones. 

 
*Disclaimer:  I received this book from the publisher, Simon and Schuster for review.  I was not required to write a positive review.


I give this 4 Bookworms.




Reading Level:  Ages 9-12
Hardcover:  400 pages
Publisher:  Aladdin (August 30, 2011)
ISBN-10:  1442407689
ISBN-13:  978-1442407688
Ebook:  669 KB
Sold by:  Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc.
ASIN:  B004INH9VI

1 comment:

  1. I think my son would enjoy this. Thanks for the heads up. New follower from Dana's blog

    ReplyDelete