Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book Review: Concerto (Book 1 of the Alexis Brooks Series) by Sandra Miller



Three simple words from her telephone in the dead of night send violinist Chrispen Marnett’s life spiraling in directions she never imagined. The chance to work with the greatest violinist alive drew her to Newton, but nothing could have prepared her for what she found there. Terror lurks in innocent places–a ringing phone, a late-night rehearsal, unexpected flowers.

And what could have prepared her for Alexis Brooks: symphony concertmaster, international superstar, and accused murderer? Withdrawn and moody, Alexis is cut off from everyone around him; his colleagues in the symphony, his fans, even his own father. Everyone from her mother to the Newton Police has warned Chrispen against Alexis, but as her own danger increases, he may be her only ally.

Join Chrispen on the journey of a lifetime as she fights for her sanity, her happiness, and her life. To survive, she must unravel the layers of the past and learn the secrets the Newton Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra hides.
 
Concerto had its pluses and minuses for me.  I found it interesting being set around a professional symphony orchestra.  I don't know much about orchestras, I'm a singer, not a player.  So the book taught me a few things.  The main thing it taught me is I don't want to be in an orchestra - I thought choirs were full of backstabbers!

Chrispen annoyed me.  She blindly believed that Alexis was innocent.  Ok, love does that to people.  But to not keep evidence or report things to the police... that's just not realistic in today's era of CSI shows.

Still, I did enjoy the book.  Alexis was well done in his suffering hero status.  The plot was suspenseful and built to a satisfying climax.  I did figure out who the bad guy was, but it wasn't blatantly obvious.  Overall, it's a satisfying mystery suspense novel.


I give this book 3 Bookworms.





Paperback:  288 pages
Publisher:  CreateSpace (October 6, 2010)
ISBN-10:  1453863850
ISBN-13:  978-1453863855

Ebook:  333kb
ASIN:  B00466HT8U

No comments:

Post a Comment