Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review: Brass and Bone by Cynthia Gael






Being Simon Thorne, friend and collaborator to Lady Abigail Moran, isn't easy. Yes, being a daring thief does have its charms. But I still haven't convinced Abigail that she loves me, and thievery, for all the romantical writers say of it, is not the way to wealth. Especially if Abigail insists we continuously repair the airship with our ill-gotten gains. So when an old friend summons us to his estate and offers us a daring job with a hefty paycheck, we're happy to accept. The mission: use our airship to transport secret cargo halfway across the globe. Oh, and we mustn't forget to take along the witch and her sinister keeper. A witch more beguiling than expected and her keeper—or is that companion?—with secrets darker than one could imagine.
Alas. Perhaps I have finally bitten off more than I can chew...

 I had high hopes for Brass and Bone, as I've developed a new love for Steampunk.  However, my hopes were not realized, unfortunately.  The story was just ok.  I found myself getting a little bored with it, even though it's only 102 pages long.


The author, Cynthia Gael, obviously has a very imaginative mind.  The ideas were good, but I think the storytelling fell short a bit.  My biggest issue with the book was the rapid switching between first person narratives.  It made the story choppy instead of flowing well.  Making that mental switch in my mind lost the thread of the story for me. 

Also, for me, the ending was not an ending.  Nothing happened, nothing was resolved.   Brass and Bone is meant to be the first of a three book series, but I think every book in a series needs to have a definitive ending.  Hopefully, the next two will.

*Disclaimer:  I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley.  I was not required to write a positive review.

I give this book 3 Bookworms.




Format:  Ebook
File Size:  276 kb
Pages:  102
Publisher:  Carina Press (October 10, 2011)
ASIN:  B005JSJS42

1 comment:

  1. I love your bookworms, they are so cute! I've not read any steampunk but it's a genre I'm looking to get into. Not sure I'll start with this one though, after your reveiw!

    http:\\elizabethbaxter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete