Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Book Review: Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher




Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work--magical or mundane.

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise.

A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses--and the first two don't count...

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher is the second book in The Dresden Files series.   I reviewed the first book Storm Front here. 

Harry is still a magnet for trouble in Fool Moon.  The way he gets out of this trouble, I'm not sure if you'd call it good luck, bad luck, or some kind of twisted mix of the two.  It is entertaining.

Yes, there are weaknesses in the book.  For a cop, Murphy is a weensy bit stupid.  Harry looks at every female character in terms of their sexual appeal - even the evil ones.  And he tends to treat them as damsels in distress.  Chauvinist much?

But, Harry is funny.  I can forgive so much if someone makes me laugh!  He's not afraid to admit his weaknesses.  People are chasing him and he doesn't want Susan, who is giving him a ride, to get hurt.  Harry says, "So I, uh, sort of threw myself out of the passenger seat of a moving car.  Don't look at me like that (he tells the reader).  I'm telling you, it made sense at the time."  And for Harry, it did!  So it makes sense to keep riding along with Harry to see what happens next!


 I give this book 3 Bookworms.



No comments:

Post a Comment