Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Review: Dead The Ugly Beginning (Dead #1) by T.W. Brown





The unthinkable has happened. The dead are walking! Humanity's fragile thread may be reaching its bitter end. Individuals and groups struggle to survive...some at any cost. Will there be anybody left? Or, is this just...The Ugly Beginning?

 I grabbed this book from Amazon to feed my Zombie addition (get it... feed?) and I saw it had good ratings.  I was hoping to love it because I saw it was a series with several books already written, and I'm a sucker for series.

Unfortunately, I didn't love it.  The biggest problem I had with it was the overwhelming amount of characters in the book.  The author bounced back and forth between different characters and groups and I just couldn't keep up.  Then there were a lot of short incidents popping up throughout, usually having someone eaten by zombies.  There was no connection to the rest of the novel, the incidents felt like the author had some neat ideas on how someone could die, so he threw them in there without having to kill one of his other myriad of main characters. With this many characters and having trouble keeping them straight, I didn't emotionally invest in anyone.

Dead The Ugly Beginning had all the usual zombie fare.  There were zombies, young and old, groups of zombies, hordes of zombies.  Vehicles were stolen, they broke down, stores were ransacked.  Gangs formed to do evil, degenerates took advantage of the mayhem, the military tried to set up safe zones, and scientists performed experiments on the infected. 

For diehard zombie fans, there's not much new here.  But the writing is solid and if you can keep up with the cast, you might enjoy it.  I can't say I'll be reading the rest of the series.

 I give this book 2 Bookworms.




No comments:

Post a Comment