Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book Review: Whispers from the Grave by Leslie Rule





When Jenna discovers the diary of a girl who was murdered over 100 years ago, she is startled by how much they have in common. Rita looked like her, acted like her, and faced the trials of high school while experiencing the thrill of first love. As Jenna reads of Rita's tragic past, she fears for her own future. Because Rita's history is repeating itself--in Jenna's life.



Whispers from the Grave by Leslie Rule is a time travel mystery.  As time travel literature goes, this one was fairly easy to keep up with.  There weren't so many jumps back and forth that can leave the reader thoroughly confused.

This book was first published in 1995 and it's nice to find a good Young Adult book that isn't paranormal or dystopian - though I love those genres, too.  I was a bit disappointed that the majority of the book was set back in time, the '70s.  As it started in the future, 2070, I was hoping for more about the world in that time.   

Jenna was a good protagonist, though overall, I felt the characters could use more fleshing out.  I found it hard to connect to them.

I think Whispers from the Grave is a good Young Adult time travel mystery.  Although, it probably is better suited to the younger readers than older young adults and adult readers.


I give this book 3 Bookworms. 


1 comment:

  1. This sounds pretty good! Hope I can find a copy, I'd enjoy this :)

    ReplyDelete