Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Review: Changers' Summer (Changers' Trilogy #1) by Mike Lewis


Tom is twelve and all he's ever known is a world with acid rain and constant cloud. His world is a place where people try to scratch out a living; surrounded by the wreckage of the past.

One hundred years ago a group of mysterious scientists took charge of the Earth's weather in order to control climate change. They burned the planet and in the ensuing chaos they disappeared.

When one of the "Changers" appears on Tom’s farm, his life changes and he is forced into an adventure where he must choose between his family and helping the Changers repair the damage they have done.

But can the Changers be trusted this time?



This book started out slow for me.  I hate to say that because there was an event that was so totally creative at the beginning, it held a lot of promise.  However, I felt the writing of it did not hold up to that promise.  I won't say what it was because I hate spoilers!

The adult characters were a bit too two-dimensional for me, but as the story was meant to be focused on the children, it was fine.  Tom was a great young protagonist, ready to jump in and get things done. 

Some things I absolutely loved in this book:  Bess, the talking dog (should have used her more!); rats that build tools; colored rain; and time travel!  Mike Lewis, the author, did a good job with his editing.  Many authors I find tend to write books that are too long, fill them up with a lot of "stuff" that doesn't really need to be in the book. 

This is a good book for young adults.  I think their natural curiosity and creative minds will find the story fascinating.

*Disclaimer:  I received this book from the author through Librarything.  I was not required to write a positive review.

 

I give this book 3 Bookworms.


Reading level:  Young Adult
Paperback:  178 pages
Publisher:  CreateSpace (July 27, 2011)
ISBN-10:  1463577052
ISBN-13:  978-1463577056

Ebook:  216KB
ASIN:  B00545629E

No comments:

Post a Comment