Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: The Last Archangel by Michael D. Young


 



Xandir has been exiled to earth until the end of time. But when his cherub trainee disappears, Xandir makes a deal with rogue angels and giants that could restore life to the mortal woman he loves and end his assignment as a destroying angel in exchange for helping them bring about the end of the world and all of mankind.

I wanted to like The Last Archangel more than I did.  The premise of the story had such promise, but I never felt it was fulfilled.  The novel felt disconnected to me, as it jumped from scene to scene and brought in so many different characters.  I felt I was on overload trying to keep up a lot of the time.

Now for the good stuff.  Some of those many characters were great!  Xandir, the not your typical angel, was snarky and defensive - yet still a hero.  Eden and Judy were strong female characters, kicking demon butts as they went along.  My favorite was Jarom, the small cherub with a mighty spirit.  The characters save this novel from being a let down for me. 




 I give this book 3 Bookworms.








Reading level:  Ages 9-12
Paperback:  288 pages
Publisher:  Bonneville (July 14, 2011)
ISBN-10:  1599558947
ISBN-13: 978-1599558943

1 comment:

  1. I love your descrpition of Jarom. I'm not fond of books with too many characters, though. Great review.

    ReplyDelete