Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Review: Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson


'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life.


I sit here having a hard time writing this review.  Not because the book was bad, because it was really good.  But I just don't know how to describe it's goodness.  It's a very intense book.  The protagonist, Christine, suffers from anteretrograde amnesia where she loses her memory every night as she sleeps.  She wakes up in bed with a man she doesn't know.  He tells her that he's her husband and she was in an accident years ago.  I can't imagine being on either side of this situation.

S.J. Watson did an excellent job showing us how someone would feel waking up every morning with no memory.  I got tense with Christine as she found and read her diary over and over again every day; finding out new things about her past every day, yet forgetting them as she slept.  The author kept the tension building day after day as Christine would remember a little bit more.  S.J. Watson did a great job with the characters, letting us see clearly into Christine and her angst over her life and memory problems, but keeping the other characters just a little bit shady so you couldn't guess what the truth really was.

This was a great read, with twists and turns everywhere.  Just enough to keep you guessing and very entertained!

 *Disclaimer:  I received this book from the publisher, HarperCollins, through NetGalley.  I was not required to write a positive review.



I give this book 4 Bookworms






Hardcover:  368 pages
Ebook:  578 kb
Publisher:  Harper; First Edition (June 14, 2011)
ISBN-10:  0062060554
ISBN-13:  978-0062060556
ASIN:  B004GUSG4M


No comments:

Post a Comment